Friday, September 30, 2011

A Moment with Judi Phillips


Tell the readers a little about yourself.
I live in Maine in the foothills of the White Mountains with three small dogs (who don’t know they’re little) to keep me company.  My kids are all grown and live all over the place.  I have three beautiful granddaughters and will be visiting two of them in Morocco in October.  His wife is Tunisian, thus my interest in the Jasmine Revolution, which is the basis for Night of Turmoil.
As an author, do you take time to read? If so, what do you like to read and who is/are your favorite author/s?
I do, although not as much as I’d like to.  For sci fi/fantasy I love Anne McCaffrey (her dragon rider series) and Linnea Sinclair.  For belly-laugh tears-running-down-my-face funny stories there’s nothing better than Janet Evanovich.  For romance, there’s not room to list everyone I read, but Susan Sizemore is one of my favorites.  And for the hot stuff, Caitlyn Willows is always entertaining.
If you could go anywhere in the world on a romantic getaway, what would you do and where would you go?
It’s a toss-up between Scotland and Jamaica.  To find myself a dour Scotsman with a tantalizing kilt or a hot Jamaican with a delicious accent.  (Check out Merrie’s Christmas by Pepper Goodrich at  http://whispershome.com/erotic/romance/merries-christmas/
for a spicy Jamaican Christmas story.)
If you could live the life of one of your characters who would you be?
Whichever one I’m writing about.  Right now I’m working on the sequel to Ghost of a Chance.  This is Aerial’s story, the mother of the heroine in Ghost.  She’s a psychic and sometimes I wish I had those abilities.  Other times, I’m glad I don’t.  I do like surprises.
The tag line on my blog is ‘Indulge Your Inner Romantic.’ What do you do to indulge?
I was ‘downsized’ a year ago, which curtailed my espresso and latte habit.  But for my birthday this year I had a brainstorm.  I asked my kids to give me an espresso machine and a few days later it was delivered to my house.  Probably not a good idea, because my espresso habit has bloomed into an addiction.  Even better are white chocolate lattes.  All accompanied by chocolate of the dark variety, of course.
I’m excited to share with you my latest release, Night of Turmoil, from Whispers Publishing.
Chelsea O'Malley, English as a Second Language teacher in Tunis, Tunisia, is always prudent, never reckless.  Her adult ESL student Malik Bourjamaa, aspires to a career in news journalism, hoping to facilitate change in his country.  While attending a protest march during the uprising in Tunis, Malik is wounded, infuriating Chelsea and causing her to admit she desires to be more than his teacher.  Can she throw caution to the wind and speak truth to a political system out of control?  Night of Turmoil tells the story of one day during the Jasmine Revolution.




Buy Link:
Watch the Trailer
Bio:
Judi Phillips has had stories in her head as far back as she can remember. However, being lazy (her friends like to point out that she’s efficient), and being a legal assistant, she knew she could never complete a manuscript if she had to write it on a typewriter. Then, along came word processors, and those magic cut and paste and delete icons. There was no stopping her after that. Within a few weeks of her first job with a computer, she started her first story, a house-beautiful, vogue thing about lawyers. Needless to say, it will never be published -- but she honed her description skills on that project, so nothing is ever wasted.
Judi lives in Maine in the foothills of the White Mountains with her two Yorkies, Sassie and Mishka, and her MinPin, Gizmo.  Despite their small size, they rule the house.



Visit her on-line: www.judiphillips.com


3 comments:

Lynn Chantale said...

Hi Judi! Thanks so much for being here today. Help yourself to the full buffet. Try the crab cakes, it's chef's specialty or the chocolate fountain, and open bar.

What was the inspiration for Night of Turmoil. By the way I'm adding this to my TBR pile.

Susan Vaughan said...

Judi, Night of Turmoil seems like a must read, both topical and romantic. I hope your doggies keep you at the computer for the next one.

Judi said...

Hi, Lynn
Thanks for inviting me to your blog.

My DIL is Tunisian and I was in Morocco in December when the revolution first began to be noticed. Then, my publisher, Whispers Publishing, did a call for submission for stories about conflicts in the world. It all came together at that point and I wrote the story in 3 months. Granted, it was to be limited to 10K, but it just poured out of me.