Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Blackbird and Samhain


1-Tell the readers a little about yourself.
I’m an Irish Reconstructionist pagan on the Warrior and Druid path and that is a major focus of my mainly non-fiction work. I have been pagan for over a decade now though it is the birth of my son that has really gotten me focused on the Warrior side of things. Looking into his eyes and knowing that I am his first teacher in this life and especially in such a minority religious tradition, it got me extremely motivated. 

I also have a Bachelors of Arts in Technical Theatre and Design as well as a minor in Philosophy/Religious Studies. I worked as a professional stage manager and theatre tech for years which is still a love of mine. Working in theatre is my Bardic arts contribution to the world. My current full time occupation helps me focus a bit more on the Warrior path and also allows me time to write for various blogs and to work on my hopes of publishing a full book sooner rather than later.  I have been lucky enough to have a prose piece published in the Samhain Anthology with Pagan Writers Press and while I have a few blogs I contribute to my main personal blog is My Mommy The Pagan Warrior (mymommythepaganwarrior.blogspot.com).
2-As an author, do you take time to read? If so, what do you like to read and who is/are your favorite author/s?

I do read a lot of mainly non-fiction. I prefer books about Celtic history and have been focusing more recently on Irish legend, specifically the Mythological and Ulster Cycles. In regards to both of those topics, I would have to say Miranda Green is one of my favorite authors on the subject of Celtic history and the lore doesn’t really have any attributed authors for them, mainly just translators. 
In the fiction world, I’ll admit it, I’m a Twilight fan having read all four books numerous times and I also love crime mysteries. I’ve been reading Patricia Cornwell’s Scarpetta series, recently.
3-How do you stay motivated when the Muse is uncooperative?
I am very “Muse” based. If I’m not in that zone I don’t usually write which is why I allot myself enough time to focus on the project as I need to. If I truly hit a wall, I’ll just go back to research and that usually sparks at least a word or sentence in my brain to start again.
4-If you could go anywhere in the world on a romantic getaway, what would you do and where would you go?
My husband and I’s idea of a “romantic” getaway is a little different than most. Yes, like most people we love the long walks on the beach and the ocean view. I need a Jacuzzi to loosen up and consider that a luxury required on any getaway, but we are also big on amusement parks so any place where we can have all of these things is perfect. 
5-What is the hardest thing for you to write?
The times I am inspired to write fiction I find that the hardest thing to write is detailed descriptions of people and places. I started out writing scripts because of my focus with theatre and so dialogue comes very easy to me. When I began branching out from there, I found that I couldn’t really focus on the person or the setting they were in. This has been something I have been working on more recently by focusing in on a face or a location and just taking that time to see every shadow, blade of grass or wrinkle in my mind in order to describe it for the readers. 
6-If you could live the life of one of your characters who would you be?
I write more non-fiction than fiction, but when I do write fiction I find it easier to write what I know. While I may not “live” the life of my characters, they are definitely living parts of mine so I guess there isn’t one I would choose as they are all a part of me, anyway.
7-The tag line on my blog is ‘Indulge Your Inner Romantic.’ What do you do to indulge?
When I see the phrase “Indulge Your Inner Romantic,” the first thing to come to mind is chocolate covered strawberries. Enough said. 

Samhain marks the end of summer and the preparation for winter.  To many, Samhain is merely Halloween, but to Pagans, it is a day when the veil between the worlds is thinnest, and we can reconnect with our beloved deceased.  Samhain is a joyful celebration where we invite the spirits of our loved ones into our homes to remember and honor them.
Pagan Writers Presents Samhain is a collection of articles, poetry, and short stories.  Forty Pagan writers have come together to express how we celebrate the holiday, to share their thoughts and feelings, and to entertain with stories that take place on or around the last week of October.
Leave your broom by the door and join us at the hearth as we tell you about the Sabbat known as Samhain.
Pagan Writers Presents Samhain is the first anthology in the Pagan Writers Press Sabbat collection.
All proceeds from the sale of this anthology further the mission of the Pagan Writers Community, an organization that seeks to edu­cate, inspire, and pro­mote artists, authors, blog­gers, musi­cians, poets, and writers who follow alternative-faith spiritual and religious paths.
Genre - Nonfiction, Religion, Spirituality, Wicca & Witchcraft

Blackbird O'Connell is an Irish Reconstructionist (Págánacht) on the pagan path since 1999. She has a Bachelors of Arts in Technical Theatre and Design with a minor in Philosophy and Religious Studies who has dedicated herself to being a mother, a student, and an adviser as inspired by the ancient Druids. She serves the Tuatha Dé Danann by attempting to walk the Warrior path maintaining her life "with truth in her heart, strength in her arms and fulfillment in her tongue." 
My Mommy The Pagan Warrior / Celtic Reconstruction’s Study Program


1 comment:

desitheblonde said...

this book sound great and the cover wow i like it catches the eye and would read it
desitheblonende@msn.com