Thursday, May 3, 2012

Inside the Mind of a Villain-Kode


I'm very fortunate to sit down with Kode from Legend of Apollo.
You know me, I'm a sucker for a good villain and a few other things, but that's another post.
Kode is the first villain to show in this novel and I understand there are quite a few more, so let's get started.

Make sure you stayed tuned for a blurb and excerpt of Barcode: Legend of Apollo.

What’s your favorite color?
Green

What type of vehicle do you drive?
Whatever I can get my hands on, but I'm really not lazy enough to drive too much. You'd be surprised what my feet can do.

Describe yourself to me.
Personally, I think I'm sexy, but it's difficult to tell with this damn mask on all the time. My face is covered my Tartarus. Just in case you haven't read about it, it's a pestering mask that covers my face at all times. No one can hear me and people tend to avoid me because of its curse. The more you speak to it, the more likely you are to be drawn into the darkness. Nice, right?
Some consider me a sociopath or murderer, but what are titles really? I'm a pretty nice guy when I'm not being a jerk. You just have to look past the curse.

How would your mate describe you?
By mate, you mean someone that would actually have sex with me? Damn. I hope that happens soon.

What really moves you, or touches you to the soul?
Souls are for the weak. They are what separate "gods" and "men". I can't relate to either because I don't have a soul, and don't want one. Instead of believing in something you can't see and praying to some invisible god, the weak should look within themselves. I train hard to make up for what others only visualize.
Dreams. Souls. And that stupid thing called love are meant for people too afraid to risk life and limb. And if anything touches me without my permission, it's likely to lose its life.

What's the one thing you have always wanted to do but couldn't? What would happen if you did do it?
Talk to someone without using a cell phone or tablet to project my thoughts. I'd like to open my eyes and see people face-to-face, but why hope for something that could never happen?

Describe your ideal mate.
Sexy.

What are you most afraid of?
Finding a fear. Then again, Angie kind of creeps me out.

What's the most important thing in your life?
Hard work. Without it, I'll be just as weak as those that never try.

What do you consider your special talent?
That's a really difficult question...I have so many. Sarcasm is a special gift of mine that I enjoy using. I'm actually quite capable of conveying just how much I loathe someone through text. Oh! Then there's killing. Now, it's not something I technically enjoy doing, but I am gifted at it. And if I were to name just one more, I'd say planning. My organizational skills and attention to detail are magnificent.

How did you meet the hero/heroine?
Last year, I overheard my mother and another person I absolutely despise, discussing "The Helios Killer". I never heard of the boy that was rumored to kill the evil dictator, but I had to meet him. If he had the power to defeat someone I couldn't, there's no way I would pass up an opportunity to learn more about him.
Fortunately for me, I'm close friends with his cousin. In fact, she's the only person I considered a friend. She convinced her father to let my twin brother and I move back home with her. My first time seeing him was after our helicopter crashed. Now, that may have partially been my fault, but he'll never find out...right?

Was it love at first sight or did it develop slowly?
I can't speak for him (I'm blushing, though you can't tell with the mask and all) but I think we had a connection.

What did you like/dislike about him/her when you first met?
Weak and ignorant. And I mean, really weak and ignorant. This guy has no clue about the world beyond his shelter. His father keeps him away from the real world, but I'm ready to show him the truth.

If you were granted three wishes, what would you ask for?
To have Tartarus removed permanently.
To kill Helios.
To kill my mother.
...hmm. No room for love in there I guess. Oh well.


Spencer's an infamously well-known “god” uninterested in his own fate. He turns nineteen-years-old on the first day of his last year at Colt Academy, the academic institution for gladiators. To celebrate, he unwillingly mentors a mysterious nerd, watches his family's helicopter plunge into the ground, and meets a strange Louisianan boy that may want to kill him. With the future of his family's fortune on the line, Spencer not only has to fight the occasional trip to Hades, but also train with his most hated childhood friend, discover the truth about his mother's death, and reestablish his legend as America's savior.
Excerpt:
I’m such a failure.
My instructors say I’m the first of the bloodline that isn’t naturally a top ranking student. Therefore, professors are inclined to boost my grades in order to keep “the great Apollo” at the top of his class.
I apologize dear ancestors. I will honor you by falling on my sword.
Damn. I don’t have a weapon yet. Give me a few days, folks.
I find a seat on a stone bench next to a small pond and watch as several lizard-fish swim and crawl through the shallow water. One has the flesh of a koi fish but the body of a garden lizard. The gold and black colors blur as my heavy eyes close and my head drops. I’m still jet-lagged.
As I open my eyes, a sharp kick lands between my ribs. Before my attacker can remove her foot, I grab it tightly and swing her into the pool.
The plague sitting in front of me with her butt dipped in an inch of water, and her arms folded neatly around her legs, just so happens to call herself Hannah’s best friend, though I knew her long before the two met.
This tomboy has a kick that’s out of this world. Her barcodes are powered by the goddess Atalanta. Every god and demigod has a code that they’re born with. That’s what separates us from Apes and humans. Some gods bond well with their bodies, while others pump so much power into their flesh that they can hardly stand. Ever. It can be a gift or a curse.
“You got my panties wet, jerk.”
“Why would a boy wear panties?”
“Don’t call me a boy, you ugly pig.”
“You walk like one, talk like one, but wait, you kick like a girl,” I tease, but my ribs scream in pain. Even more, I’m defiantly conscious that Michelle’s beauty competes closely with the most attractive girl on campus, Hannah. Still, she and I are mortal enemies that will one day battle to her death.
I’ve seen these visions in my sleep. Any morning I wake up after slaying her just so happens to be a great day. Yes. I’m very aware that many people consider these dreams, but if they are prophetic, The Writer does truly love me.
“What does Hannah see in you?”
“What do you mean? She said that in our first year you always gushed over my blue eyes, and wouldn’t stop raving about my face.” I watch the wicked witch’s eyes nearly leap out of their sockets, and her face turns pale. If the tattoos on her legs shine, I’ll need to flee for my own safety. “Geez. You look so upset; I almost think it’s true.”
For the past three years, Kashif Ross has been mainly known as a teacher. Yet, he's managed to pick up very random titles along the way. Previous jobs include Student Molecular Oncology Researcher, Camp Counselor, CGI Animator, Character Designer, and Professional Geek.
Now he's an author living in California's Bay Area. You can find posts about his random thoughts and adventures on his blog, www.kashifross.com.

1 comment:

Lynn Chantale said...

Hi Kode. Welcome to Decadent Decisions. I appreciate you coming out and answering my questions today. Also thank Kashif for letting you be here are well.

I love a good villain, I'm always intrigued by what motivates you.
Your story sounds like a fab read and I've added this to my TBR list.

Oh be sure to help yourself to the buffet and open bar, but if you don't have proper ID you won't get any alcohol.